Mel Carson is the CEO and founder of Delightful Communications, an award-winning B2B Technology Marketing Agency based in Seattle and London. It specializes in Video Production, Content Marketing, Public Relations, Advertising, Search Engine Optimization, Social Media Marketing, Branding services.
He began his digital advertising career as an editor at the search engine LookSmart in 2000, spending time at 24/7 Search as an Account Director before moving to Microsoft in 2005. He was part of the team that planned & executed the UK roll-out of Microsoft adCenter in August 2006. After 7 years at Microsoft as their Digital Evangelist, Mel departed in 2012 to launch Delightful Communications in Seattle.
Over the years he has presented at over a hundred conferences and lectured on MBA, MSc, and online marketing courses, regularly advising curriculum decision-makers at Cranfield School of Management, Birkbeck College, as well as the University of Washington. He has also been featured in a fantastic array of top publications, including The Financial Times, Fast Company, The Next Web, Forbes, GQ, Quartz, USA Today, PR Daily, and Entrepreneur.com.
Mel shares his path from being the face of Microsoft to heading his digital agency and helping B2B company leaders become spread through their influence in their industry, and why improving your mindset, taking care of your people, and continuous learning are some of the smartest decisions you can ever make to grow your business.
This Cast Covers:
- How Mel began his digital advertising career before becoming the face of Microsoft (02:06)
- How moving to Seattle and getting laid off from Microsoft ended up being an unexpected blessing (03:03)
- What led him to start Delightful Communications (04:32)
- Why Delightful focuses on B2B technology marketing for enterprise companies (06:53)
- How he handles setbacks and challenges in the industry, such as clients pulling back budget or canceling in the middle of the pandemic (13:13)
- How attending a coaching course at the iPEC (Institute for Professional Excellence in Coaching) changed his mindset and how that affected the way he ran his agency (15:01)
- Why Mel believes working on the mindset is so important (18:54)
- Losing around 25 pounds during the pandemic through physical exercise (20:18)
- The secret to the success of Delightful Communications (28:18)
- How people find Delightful Communications and how they acquire and retain businesses (29:58)
- The challenge with coaching the sales training team (35:58)