My guest today is Robb Fahrion, co-founder and partner of Flying V Group, a digital marketing and strategy agency based in Orange County, California. Flying V takes a comprehensive approach to creating digital marketing strategies for their clients by providing services such as website design/redesign, search engine optimization, pay-per-click advertising, or social media marketing.
After receiving his Bachelor of Science in Business Administration in Chapman University where he graduated with Summa Cum Laude honors, he worked in numerous marketing positions in several companies like KeenVision Financial and the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
Before co-founding Flying V Group with his brother, Tyler, he became Director of Marketing at Security First Corp, and has formed relationships with clients like IBM, Unisys, Northrup Grumman, Microsoft, and Sengex. He also serves as the Chief Marketing Officer for the California Waste and Recycling Association and is an active member of Seed Consulting Group.
In this episode we talk about Robb’s obsession with sports ever since he was a 12-year-old kid, how they survived and thrived bootstrapping their agency, what they did to ensure the long-term success of the agency in terms of lead generation, client acquisition and sales processes.
This Cast Covers:
- Working summers in college for a minor league baseball team (06:36)
- His first introduction to marketing and advertising at a tech company (8:42)
- Leaving marketing to do financial consulting on a B2B level (09:40)
- A call from one of Robb’s mentors who turned into a paying client (11:02)
- Offering digital marketing strategy for professional services (12:41)
- Leaving the corporate world to start Flying V Group with his brother Tyler (13:40)
- Bootstrapping the agency during the first few years (16:12)
- What they did to grow the business outside of their sweat equity (17:15)
- Investing in long-term success of the agency and looking at growth holistically (18:10)
- Robb’s struggles in the early days of the agency getting sales and closing deals (22:20)
- Creating a foot in the door offer (30:39)
- Treating the agency as your own client (38:20)