Jason Smith owns an agency called Spotlight Social Media Consulting, a Facebook and Instagram ads agency helping brands and businesses 10X their growth and scale through a winning ads formula. Prior to that, Smith worked as a Los Angeles police officer for 13 years. Currently, he lives in Colorado with his wife and children. “Perpetual Traffic”, a podcast produced by Digital Marketer, chronicles Smith's departure from the police force. Aside from building high-converting Facebook and Instagram campaigns, Jason enjoys wakeboarding, wake surfing, and dirt biking.
In this episode, Jason recounts his past career as a Los Angeles police officer, how it’s shaped his view on humanity, wealth building, relationships, and the takeaways that led him to be a successful seven to eight-figure revenue agency owner.
This Cast Covers:
- Who is Jason Smith and what does Spotlight Social do? (03:15)
- Why Jason turned down some pretty sizable opportunities such as 7-figure single company deals (04:48)
- The unique path Jason took in becoming an agency owner (07:00)
- His background as a gang officer In Los Angeles and why LA is probably the most violent city in the nation (08:13)
- Did his 14-year experience as a police officer have any negative ramifications on his view on people and humanity (12:14)
- Part of his job as a gang officer was to make sure he knew every single gang member, their families, and their lifestyles (17:56)
- Policemen think they're stuck in a job for 25-30 years when that’s not really the case (19:02)
- How he ended up running an agency after a long career in the police field (20:10)
- His fears about leaving the police force and the relational toll it took working nonstop everyday (25:18)
- Jason’s big takeaways about transitioning from police officer to agency owner and how that impacted his life positively (29:32)
- Navigating through current IoS 14 changes and how it’s created both headaches and opportunities for Spotlight Social (35:00)